20090811

Birthday Snickerdoodle Cupcakes

Happy Birthday to Bridget (8/2) & Bethaney(8/10)! A couple of weekends ago Maria and I drove up to Camp Kawaga in Minocqua, WI to help the girls celebrate their birthday's......for those of you that don't know, they are camp nurses there for the summer, not campers. I was pretty excited to give Martha's Snickerdoodle cupcakes a try. I'm glad that I got over my funk since the chocolate chip cupcakes didn't turn out, because these are absolutely delicious! These have the perfect amount of sweetness and the frosting is so light and airy it's hard to stop at just one. The cupcake batter is quite easy to whip together, but the frosting is a little more delicate. I'm convinced that the only reason the frosting turned out is because I bought back-up ingredients for an easier vanilla frosting in case the Seven-Minute Frosting didn't turn out. Also, don't be fooled by the name of this frosting. The only thing that takes 7 minutes is beating the frosting until it is cool to the touch. I made a half batch (which was more than enough) so I can only imagine that it would take even more time had it been the full batch. I have yet to buy a candy thermometer so I took a chance and once the broken meat thermometer got to 210° I waited about 5 minutes and then started to combine the sugar mixture with the egg whites and it worked perfectly.

The only mistake of the weekend was packing for summer....I think we reached a high of 65° all weekend. There were a few other highlights of the weekend, including lots of cheese curds, learning to play 'Yee Haw' a newfangled drinking game that I may even remember how to play, kayaking, and of course the general experience of seeing what an all boys camp is all about.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment