20090723

Cinnamon Rolls

I'm not exactly sure how the tradition started, but ever since Katy, Carrie, and I graduated from college, pretty much whenever we visit each other we have cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I whole heartedly love Pillsbury grands cinnamon rolls, but now that I have this fancy dancy blog I thought I would try my hand at making some from scratch. Katy bought be a 'Simple Old Fashioned Baking' book for my birthday that had just what I needed. So not only did we have cinnamon rolls for breakfast during Katy's last visit, but she got to reap the benefits of her gift. I did modify some of the recipe, by using brown sugar in addition to granulated sugar and whipping up a quick cream cheese glaze. Next time I would use even more brown sugar and invest in a rolling pin to make the process a little easier. They also didn't get quite as golden as I had hoped, but they did taste scrumptious. Maybe I just need to bake them in a different pan, metal perhaps. Any suggestions for that?

Recipe:

Dough:
2 C Flour
4 t Baking powder
1/4 C Butter, chilled
3/4 C Milk
Filling:
2 T Sugar
2 T Brown Sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 C chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Glaze:
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Sift flour, baking powder & 1/2 t salt in bowl.
2. Rub butter in with fingertips.
3. Add milk slowly & mix
4. Roll out on lightly floured surface to 1/2" thickness.
5. Spread with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll like jelly roll & cut 3/4"slices.
6. Bake 10-15 minutes.
7. In a small bowl cream together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Add in powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
8. Spread cream cheese glaze on top after removing from the oven. Enjoy!


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa! You are so creative w/ your cooking! I thought I was getting better until I see what you're busting out! These cinnamon rolls look AWESOME!!!!!! I might have to try to make them. (My husband would owe you one.) Good seeing you last night. Kristin Labanauskas (Cegelski)

    ReplyDelete